The Vanier Tower:
A New Building Next to Marchand Residence
Marchand residence will soon have a new neighbour: the Vanier Tower.
With a growth that requires more academic space, the University will be undertaking the construction of a new green building just south of the Marchand Residence. Built along the pedestrian pathway, it will house the Faculty of Social Sciences, units of the Faculty of Arts and administrative services. Students will have access to classrooms, an auditorium, appealing lounge areas and a café.
Construction and its impact
- Demolition of an existing building until the end of June 2009
- Excavation: summer 2009
- Piling: periodically, from fall 2009 until spring 2010
- Foundation construction: summer and fall 2010
- Followed by:
- Upper floor structure work : now ongoing
- Interior finishes
Working hours will generally be from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Work intensity will be reduced during exam periods.
This construction will cause some noise and inconvenience for everyone.
Marchand residence will be the most affected given its proximity to the new building.
A few tips if you live at Marchand:
- Keep your window closed to reduce noise and dust.
- Study at night when it is quiet.
- Use the Library and study lounges located in other buildings. Wireless coverage is almost complete.
- When the workers reach your level, remember: work start early in the morning. Close your window curtains when you go to sleep.
- For safety reasons, we do not recommend wearing antinoise headset. Wearing such headset, you would not be able to hear the emergency evacuation alarm signal.